Shooting headshots can be a steady and lucrative business. Whether you are photographing actors or business people, they key is to know how to get the job done in a variety of situations, without a great deal of gear. Often, you’re not allocated much time – or given much space – to achieve this.
Gina and Valerie love bringing this podcast to you.
Hope you enjoy the podcast.
Sign up to the newsletter for great tips and free Lightroom presets.
Join the dynamic Gold Membership in our Community which delivers monthly tutorials, live mastermind and lots of behind the scenes videos into the creative process.
How to start a headshot business
What is a headshot or profile pic?
- Head and shoulders photo of someone to use as promotion in lieu of a personal introduction
- Formal vs casual depending on industry
- Politician or doctor might be formal
- Artist might be more relaxed
Research and become an expert in the different styles and types of headshots.
- What sort of photographer do you want to be?
- Natural vs Flash
- Bounce board
- Portable flash
- Studio flash
- Business registration
- Tax file number
- Invoicing software
- Business cards
Folio Building + profile building
- Friends of friends
- Industry events
- Competitive industry
- Low base model vs fixed price
- Low Sitting fee + + +
- Fixed price – higher rates
Empathy: get a headshot to understand what it feels like to be photographed
Start with garage light
Add one light
More lights = higher production value